Rolta Information and Decision Support System (RIDSS): Visualizing Communication Possibilities on a GIS map background
Rolta’s Information and Decision Support System utilizes data on attributes of communication devices to foresee communication possibilities and enable effective suitability analysis and planning according to these parameters.
The terrain in which the Indian Defense operates varies in elevation from sea level to the extreme mountainous terrain. The geographic diversities create numerous obstacles when considering network connectivity and telecommunications methodology. Therefore, GIS occupies the centre stage in activities as diverse as manpower planning, equipment availability and its operational status/readiness, communication planning and its command and control from the Detachment to the Formation level
Communication equipment requirements can be a daunting task in planning, pre-deployment analysis during peace time or during actual operations. Rolta’s Information and Decision Support System utilizes data on attributes of communication devices for visualizing the necessary communication possibilities on a GIS map background.
- Communications ORBAT
- Location of detachments along with the strength & status of communication equipment
- Deployment of communication equipment and its coverage parameters
- Serviceability status of communication and allied equipments
- Operational status of manpower, logistics and communication equipment from Detachment to Signal Regiment/Formation level
- Planning for move of a sub-unit or unit to a new area on the map background (Route analysis)
- Planning & selection of best available communication sites for deploying the equipment
- Planning allocation of Signal resources vis-à-vis terrain conditions and suitability analysis